Do you ever get that rumbling feeling in your belly around lunch time but never know what to eat? Well you need wonder no longer! This soup is such a quick and easy dish to make (should not take longer than 30 minutes!), you’ll be full in no time. It also serves to keep those pesky tummy rumbles at bay as the butter beans help you feel fuller and satisfied for longer.
This recipe serves 4 (or 1 for a few days, as it will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days!)
What you’ll need
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 2x 425g can of butter beans
– 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
– 900ml Vegetable stock
– approx. half a can of chopped tomatoes (depends how thick you like your soup)
– rosemary or thyme (dried or fresh, it’s up to you, either tastes good.)
– salt and pepper to taste
.::How it’s done:
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for two minutes.
- Add the butter beans, sun-dried tomato paste, stock, chopped tomatoes, rosemary or thyme and a little pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10- 15 minutes.
This soup is so versatile there’s a whole host of different things you could try doing with it. Here’s just a few ideas that I have come up with over the years:
– When preparing stock try adding 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar. This brings the soup to a whole new level of deliciousness!
– If you’re a fan of chick peas, like I am, try substituting one can of butter beans for a can of chick peas. I’ve also added tofu to the dish too!
– For a thicker soup add why not add the whole can of tomatoes to the mix?
– There a whole host of different tomato pastes available at your supermarket, for example, tomato and chilli. Experiment!!
As you can see the world really is your oyster with this soup! Happy cooking!!